October 8th – 2008 Supply Brothers
Moving your office can be a daunting task. If you don’t have a plan, you are asking for trouble. I recommend creating a checklist. Avoid planning as you go, which is not really planning at all. A budget will help you keep organized and keep the cost of moving reasonable.
Here are the essential tips.
1. Take inventory! Moving is an excellent time to do some spring cleaning. As you are taking inventory, be sure to throw away old papers, equipment, or any other items that are collecting dust. Most importantly, please recycle. If you don’t have a recycling bin, you can choose from a variety of recycling receptacles we offer.
2. Speak with several moving companies. Be sure to ask what they charge and any hidden fees that may apply. In some instances, if you are a minute late, moving companies will charge you for two days worth of rental time. Keep in mind most of them expect you till fill up the gas tank after use, so be sure to choose a company that is close to your office move. Some moving companies will let you drop off the rental from a different location than you rented it from. Just be sure to ask if they will charge extra for that. Lastly, ask them if they will provide moving boxes and packing tape and how much extra it will cost.
3. Contact the proper utility companies. You will need to call ahead of time to schedule the proper start and stop dates for your phone, electricity, internet, water, etc.
4. Provide the proper employee orientation. It’s essential that you train your employees on any new functions such as; security systems, phone, etc.
5. Have plenty of supplies. Please don’t underestimate this important step. You will need lots of boxes! The more, the better. (If you get your boxes from the moving company, you can usually return unused boxes for a refund. I recommend getting them from a grocery store if you are on a tight budget). Be sure to stock up on cleaning supplies. You will be surprised at the amount of dirt and dust you will find when moving things. (Most companies will charge you a cleaning fee if you leave the place a mess). We recommend getting carpet cleaners, furniture polish, and disinfectants. Invest in a hand truck! This will save time and money, and it will also keep you from hurting yourself. Lastly, don’t forget bubble wrap to protect your valuable items.
When you are done with your move, plan a party and celebrate! Moving is no easy task. Whether you asked help from your best friend, coworker, neighbor, be sure to show them appreciation! Thank everyone for his and her contribution.
More helpful tips